Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Waiting Game

So, I've tried to do the blog thing before, but I wasn't very good at keeping it up, so I stopped after like three posts. But NOW I have a reason to write here all the time......

I'm joining the Peace Corps!

Most of you reading this already know about me and what I'm (hopefully) doing, so I'll just give a brief overview to catch everyone up.

I applied for the Peace Corps in February and I was accepted and nominated for Central Asia as a community health volunteer, leaving in September. I just finished my medical clearance packet and I'm waiting for my invitation. If I am invited to the program that I was nominated for, I'm about 99% sure that I'll be in Turkmenistan (yeah, I had to look it up on a map too). Otherwise, there's a posibility that I'll be invited to western Sub-Saharan Africa to do a similar job in September. I wasn't nominated for this one because I felt the job in Central Asia fit my background better, but with my french speaking skills, they may feel I'm better suited for Africa anyway. I really don't care which one I end up in....it's going to be exciting, scary, and new no matter what.

So, the deadline for them to invite me to Central Asia is August 13, so I should know before then where exactly I'm going. For me the next month is going to be agonizingly slow. If you know me at all, you know that patience isn't really my strong point. I just found out that they recieved my medical kit and are reviewing it right now, so keep your fingers crossed that I didn't miss anything!

Also, my friend Beth is joining the Peace Corps, and she's leaving on July 9th to go to Honduras! I'm really excited for her, and somewhat jealous that she gets to leave before me. And I'm REALLY jealous that she speaks spanish and gets to go to latin america with the hot latin guys. Why did I take french in high school?

UPDATE: My dental records were cleared by the Peace Corps today! I'm still waiting for the rest of my medical records to clear.

Also, for those who are not familiar with blogging: To leave a comment for me, click on the word "comments" below any post. If you would like an email notification of each update that I make, click on the word "Posts" next to the word "Subscribe:" at the bottom of this page. Let me know if you have any other questions!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the Mama: I am excited for Andrea and Beth as they embark on such a brave journey. I am sure they will learn so much and have wonderful adventures as they explore the new countries they are part of. They will come back even stronger and better women than they already are. I'm looking forward to reading about all their experiences but the mom in me is a little scared to. Andi - we will look forward to hearing all about it and are behind you every step of the way. Love you so much! Mom

Anonymous said...

Andie! You're my hero. Because of this I fully intend to copy you and go into the Peace Corps myself. I wish we could go together, but I also think that it will be an incredible opportunity for us to grow as individuals. Just think chica. In 5 years we'll be done with school, have traveled the world, dedicated a part of ourselves and our lives to bettering our world, and have adult jobs and responsibilities.

It doesn't seem possible. I feel like it was just yesterday that you sashayed into the dorms carrying half a birthday cake and a confused look.

Much love, Lee

Anonymous said...

h, Andread,
I find your blog veryinteresting and I hope this means you will be able to add to it when you arrive at where you are going. I know you will have some wonderful times and some hard times,and maybe some scary times, but I know you will succeed in what you do. As always, love you very much,
Grandmother July 10, 2007

MamaRhodus said...

Hi Andi,

Thanks for leaving all the great website links on your blog. i've started reading about the peace corps, turmenistan, etc and am learning more about the peace corps and how they are going to take care of my baby! Good info...keep it coming. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
The time is getting closer, and I think I am getting nervous for you. Although I am sure you will be fine, and I am sure you will make a difference. You will gain a lot of experience that will help you in your life after the peace corps. Love to you,
Grandmother